Then and now

Standing still means marching back.

In 1919, Heinrich Ellerbrock founded the tyre retreading company nearby Hamburg. At the beginning of World War 2, the company already relied on 65 workers.  In July 1943, the plant was completely destroyed by airstrike, but was then rebuilt on its ruins. Economic growth in the aftermath of the war and the consequent widespread increased motorisation level led to a huge growth in demand for retreaded tyres. The production of retreading materials led to manufacturing of precured treads for cold retreading.

In 1990, Mario Marangoni, aware of the considerable prospects of the company, decided that Ellerbrock should become part of our Group. However, the space in the premises of Eidelstedt was not enough to hold the expected production expansion. Therefore, the construction for the establishment was set out in Henstendt-Ulzburg, approximately 30 kilometres north of Hamburg, and was concluded two years later.

Over the first decade of common history, the strategy of the Marangoni group was to protect its market position with two separate brands (Marangoni and Ellerbrock) in order to gain as much market share as possible. Nevertheless, as far as production and technology, both companies always worked together as a team, culminating with the installation of a modern production line for Ring Tread.

By 2000, it was decided to work together even in terms of trade and marketing thereby integrating moderately, but the image of Ellerbrock with the Marangoni Group was ever more evident and widespread.

From 1st September 2011 onwards the company’s  name changed to Marangoni Retreading Systems Deutschland GmbH.

We cannot forget about the difficult moments we encountered in the plant of Hamburg, particularly caused by two fires that entailed a halt in production, though from this, the company quickly rose, rebuilding a plant that has become one of the most modern production establishments for retreading in Europe.

Today, the German plant can handle all production processes and materials using the most advanced technologies. This is the key for a cost-effective quality production, combined with intense staff training. Following the considerable investments made in 2009, the compounds department is now equipped with the most modern machinery available today; the process is monitored by a computerised system that makes sure compounds are produced exactly as the specifications and based on the motto: “the right mix for each application!”